Lake Chad Basin Project
The Lake Chad Basin is an unstable and conflict-prone area. The region has long been plagued by poverty, climate change, and violent conflict, impacting the livelihoods of people living in the region, especially women and children. OAM Consult, in partnership with the World Bank Group (WBG), identified the need for a regional architecture to inform and support existing coordination mechanisms.
Impacted deeply by the activities of armed groups in 2009 and the violent skirmishes of 2018, over 10 million people have needed life-saving assistance and protection. Development in the Lake Chad region is given priority by WBG together with a host of other partners. A recovery and development strategy will bring peace and stability to the area through the enhancement of cross-collaboration between nations. There goal is twofold:
- To integrate an emphasis on the root causes of conflicts and how they interplay with natural disasters and global/regional economic shocks.
- To ensure the continuity of the response to address root causes to augment the efficiency, effectiveness, and sustainability of the results.
OAM Consult is developing an information architecture that transcends borders. The architecture addresses capacity issues through a better understanding of the strengths and weaknesses of local-level data collection and analysis. Systematic analysis improves the recognition of the need for collective action and enables timely response to risks. The prevention of conflicts is the preferred approach. Our analytical and monitoring platform fosters knowledge exchange, collaboration, partnerships, and strengthens EWSs, contributing significantly to the protection and development of the region.
This architecture will contribute to sustaining peace by:
- Delivering services and promoting sustainable development more effectively and efficiently.
- Giving people a voice through representation and inclusion that forges social cohesion between citizens and institutions.
- Nurturing political will and institutions to resolve and strengthen resilience to conflict drivers and sustaining peace.